Maine or bust!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pictures, plants and a recipe!

First, the recipe! I've had a couple of people ask me what I was eating for lunch yesterday (posted on my facebook that I'd made a sort of stir-fry from asparagus, onions and baby bok-choy). It was absolutely delicious. In fact, I made it again today! I'd hardly consider it a recipe though....

Veggies ahoy!

Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Snap one bunch of white asparagus and one bunch of green asparagus into 2 inch pieces and add to pan. Slice one small onion and add to asparagus. Roughly chop 2-4 baby bok choy (depending how many people you're feeding... good rule is one bok choy per person) and add to pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and asparagus turns bright green. Stir in 1 Tbsp oyster sauce (you could use rooster sauce or black bean sauce if you can't have oyster) and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Takes 5 minutes, and it's REALLY good. Makes a great side dish, but if you want to make a main dish out of it, toss in some cooked shrimp or chicken and stir the whole thing into pasta.


The seedlings got transplanted last night after the kids and I cleaned the front hall (all the potting supplies were in that room). I'm not sure how well they'll do, but they all seemed okay this morning after spending the night outside!

The healthiest cilantro seedlings. I thought I'd killed them, but they're still hanging on!

My lone, pathetic tomato. I may have to buy a friend for it.

Not sure the parsley will make it...

This is Mom's basil. Mine is in a bigger pot :)

Chives, the cilantro I'm not sure about, and my basil.
 Each pot has a bed of stones at the bottom, and I've placed fertilizer spikes in each one as well. (I even bought spikes particularly for tomato plants!). I'm hoping that I won't have to bring them back inside (keeping them away from the cats would be tricky) but I'll keep a close eye on the weather network!

As I briefly mentioned above, the kids and I got right to work when we got home, and the front room is now clean. Four bags of garbage and four bins of recycling went downstairs. Tonight, I'll see if I can get the bloody vacuum to work and dust the shelves. I took measurements needed to cut shelves for the last bookcase, and my dad said he'd cut those for me, so when Rob comes back in June, all we'll have to do is install the shelves and move the books in! I need to go through my books and purge somewhat. I know I have too many. It just hurts to say goodbye to them LOL

Tonight we'll be focusing on the kitchen and back room (the kids started in the back, but there's a LOT of work to do yet) and try to get some laundry done.


No comments:

Post a Comment