Maine or bust!

Monday, September 17, 2012

I know... I promised knitting!

But the Tempting top is in time-out right now. My invisible joins? The ones I was so thrilled to learn about? Yeah... one of them came apart when I was about 10 rows further on. Now I have to duplicate stitch the bloody thing to cover the loose ends and make sure it doesn't come apart. Needless to say, I am annoyed with the sweater and have put it in the corner so it can think about what it did.

I did get a few rows done on Rob's kitchen curtain (yes, that one. No, it's not finished. He'll get it when I'm done). I also finished the heel flap on my first sock and I'm three rows away from finishing another charity hat  - I left it in the middle of the decreases to go to Kari's for lunch on Saturday. We made some Parmesan baked squash (kumbota, I think) and shrimp marinated in Frank's Red Hot sauce that was to DIE for :) Then we headed over to Sue's (with a few hiccups along the way) to record an episode of their podcast. Check them out if you're into knitting or just want to watch two whackos have a good time! You can find them on blip, youtube and iTunes as "twotangledskeins" or just follow this link! It's really worth checking out! 

Sunday mainly included being lazy, going to my mom's for dinner and having baby time. After we got home, I chopped up what seemed like an enormous amount of tomatoes, cooked them up a bit and ended up with this:

Yup. That's all. Six pints of tomatoes. (Well, five pints in jars and one in a plastic container in my fridge). That was depressing. Granted, they cost me less than the grocery store ones, and there's no salt added to them (just plain tomatoes and a bit of lemon juice to adjust the pH level). I did them according to Marisa McLellan's method at Food in Jars. Maybe next year I'll be able to grow tomatoes and not have to buy them at the farmer's market. I didn't end up getting around to the plums, because I only have one burner on my stove, so the tomatoes took FOREVER. Yeah... ONE burner. Landlord apparently has a new range for me in the basement, but it's still sitting down there.

Tonight is going to be spent doing laundry, reading for school, relaxing with the kids. Here's what we did for the squash: quarter a kumbota squash and remove the seeds. drizzle with a bit of olive oil (to prevent sticking and add a pat of butter to each quarter. Sprinkle with allspice and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. 5 minutes before the end, add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese to each quarter. 

The marinade for the shrimp was just a bit of olive oil, a lot of Frank's Red Hot sauce and a bit of honey to cut the spice. We let them sit until the squash was done, then pan-fried them until they were pink. SO GOOD. (granted, we both REALLY like spicy food - your mileage may vary!)

No comments:

Post a Comment