Maine or bust!

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Confession time...

After my last few entries, someone remarked to me that I hadn't said anything about how my tomatoes were progressing, how my herb garden was doing, or anything of the sort. Well, there's a reason for that. My upstairs neighbor's cat is apparently some kind of contortionist in that he can climb the bricks down from the 3rd floor balcony to mine, and the furry little asshole destroyed all my plants. ALL of them. :(



The tomatoes rallied bravely, but they couldn't overcome him digging them up AND peeing on them repeatedly. The only thing he didn't touch was the chives, and they're sort of struggling along, but every time I'm away for a few days, they start dying off again because we've had practically no rain this summer. This depresses me greatly. I really wanted to have some plants and useful stuff this year. :( Instead, I'm still stuck buying everything at the store or farmer's market. Damn cat.

On the plus side, I have put up a good stock of jams for the next year. Strawberry rhubarb, mixed berry, pineapple... and I'm nowhere near done yet. So at least there's that. I'm also hoping to find time to make a few batches of pickled veggies (green beans, carrots, cauliflower, onions). I always have to consider how much storage space I have (like, none) when making stuff like this though.

Plus, in ten days, my friends Kari and Sue and I will be leaving for Stitches Midwest. I'm very excited! I'm hoping it cools down enough for me to get a batch of cherry jam done between now and then, since that's Rob's favourite of the ones I make. I haven't gotten too much knitting done, and I'm a bit gutted since my favourite LYS (janie h. knits) is closing its doors after six wonderful years! Now I know this won't be the last we hear from Miss Janie, but it's sad nonetheless that I can't just drop by Kettleman's Bagels for a mixed dozen and motor out to Perth to hang out at Janie's for an afternoon of knitting and chatting anymore. However, I think it's high time she gets her house (and her life) back after entertaining us for the last few years! :) Here's to retirement, may you and Allan enjoy it thoroughly, Janie!


If you're local to Ottawa and want to help Janie get rid of her stock, head on down any Tuesday to Saturday from 10am to 4pm. There are maps and directions on her site (linked above). Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment