Maine or bust!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Comedy of Errors

Well, today is our one-year anniversary, so neither of us really wanted to get up this morning when the alarm went off. However, Rob had to get to work, and I had to... um... get back to sleep, so up we got. Got him off to work and went back to bed until 10am (hey, I'm sick!). My daughter came down with a cold the day before we headed down, and it appears she shared. Blech. It's a good thing Rob tends to be invulnerable to cold bugs.

Last night, I made seafood pasta and a banana cake with lemon glaze, but I haven't been in much of a photographing mood lately, so there are no pictures. Tonight, however, we have friends coming for dinner. We're barbecuing, which seemed like it would be a really dumb idea earlier in the day when we had a torrential downpour complete with thunder, lightning, and town-wide flooding. I was supposed to bring the kids clothes shopping this morning, but we couldn't get to the store. Why? Well, it seems that when they built this town, they forgot to include storm sewers, and every single street was flooded. People's yards were COMPLETELY under water. It was pretty scary driving the few blocks we managed and then turning back. We decided to do our shopping another day and retreated for the safety of the house. Sump pump has been working overtime, but it's been fighting the good fight all day :)

So for tonight's barbecue, obviously most of the "cooking" will be done by the boys outside. Here's my contribution:


This is pasta salad with sauteed summer veggies. I basically took a box of rainbow rotini and cooked it. Then I sauteed a bunch of green onions, three stalks of celery, a small tub of grape tomatoes, a small bag of sugar snap peas and a tablespoon of minced garlic in some olive oil. Let it cool and added it to the pasta, and then tossed in a dressing made from 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Threw it in the fridge until dinner.

Now comes the "errors" part... cooked the pasta, brought it over to the sink to dump the water out.... and since I hadn't washed last night's dishes, the water all splashed right back out of the sink, onto my abdomen and upper thigh, and ran down to splash on my left foot. Ow. So now I have some minor burns all over my abdomen and left thigh, and some pretty major burns on my foot and toe. No blistering, thank goodness, but it's quite tender and difficult to walk on. No shoes for a day or two. You can't really tell without a frame of reference, but these two toes are swollen to about twice their usual size (and they're kind of purple, which is weird). Cold compresses and a lot of ibuprofen!


So after that little mishap (which had me screaming and tearing all my clothes off in front of the windows that look out onto the street), Zack and I prepared tonight's dessert, which will be rather spectacular, I think. It's called Super Apple Cake from the Canadian Living website - it's an upside down cake with a VERY thick batter. We had a blast making it! If it's dry, I might make a cinnamon glaze for it. It's still in the oven for now :)


Fortunately, the rain stopped around noon, so hopefully the town-wide flooding will have receded by the time Rob gets home from work. Looking forward to a fun evening with friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment